THE FIRST time I saw Tito Ricky (after which I’ll just call him Ricky for short) he was playing with my elder brothers Tim and Donald, the latter copying all of his actions and hanging on to his every word.
If he could impress my brothers that much, and I certainly thought my bros were the coolest guys in the world (at the time), then how cool could Ricky be?
Believe it or not, that was around 40 years ago, just a little more than an eternity for some of you out there. I have known the guy you see in the center of the pic above for most of my life, and he has never been less than awesome for me.
Technically, being my mom’s first cousin he belongs to the previous generation, but because we are so close in age he is actually part of mine. And in spirit and temperament, he is certainly a child of the Seventies.
Through the decades I lost track of him, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that in my temporary adopted hometown in NZ, he was right there with his family. The floodgates of memories in Masbate, Bicol (where my grandmother and his mother were born), Makati and Mandaluyong were opened; and all the funny and feel-good things that we had shared we recounted.
And now that you mention funny, Ricky is funny personified. He is a born comedian, able to make jokes out of every saying, story and situation. It doesn’t hurt that he has a superfunny wife Maya who plays straight person and repartee giver to his hilarious material.
Last 12th February, through the thoughtfulness of wife Maya, son Sigfried, daughters Pao and Angela, Ricky celebrated his 51st birthday in the presence of the people who matter most to him : family. Thanks for always being there for us Tito Ricky, thanks for the invite, and thanks for the memories, woohoo!
Happy birthday from all of us!
- very random thoughts on interviewing an A-lister pinoy style (ylbnoel.wordpress.com)
- 32 passengers stranded in Masbate ports (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- bringing the Philippine Embassy to your bakuran (ylbnoel.wordpress.com)
- happy anniversary Clark and Didith Figuracion ! (ylbnoel.wordpress.com)
- Ricky Gervais’s Derek debuts new series to largely positive response (metro.co.uk)
- Mahal’s birthday handa reminds everyone of home (ylbnoel.wordpress.com)
- Pacific islanders our brothers (and sisters) in race, culture and migration (ylbnoel.wordpress.com)
- Filipino Shopkeepers Get Help Breaking Into Mobile Phone Market (pbs.org)